– I have been a police Officer for 40 plus years
– The last 19 plus years as Chief of Police for City of Aztec
– Vice President of New Mexico Chief’s Association
o Leadership San Juan
o San Juan Communications Center
o Region II Narcotics Task Force
o Criminal Justice Training Authority
o School safety task force
o San Juan safe communities
– Married, 4 children, 17 grandchildren
10:30 AM - 11:15 AM Thu, Nov 29, 2018 TBC
Aztec High School Mass shooting December 7, 2017Hero’s that day
- Casey &Paco
- Janitor Thomas Hill and sub-teacher Kate Potter
- APD Officers Captain Troy Morris, Lieutenant Joe Gonzales, SRO Sergeant Heather Knibbs, I was with them.
- My department that day….. 12 Officers including me (one first day on the job, two in basic academy) in case you weren’t counting that leaves 9!
- The Captain, and Lt arrived within one minute of receiving the call
- SRO and I arrived within the next minute.
- Written death wish
- Known to all my officers
- Two talked to him night before shooting
- Walk up
- not a walk out
- Bon fire
- Red flag laws/Extreme Risk Protection Orders
- Felony to make threat
- PERA/SRO change
- School safety funding
- Bullying laws
Learning Objectives and Participant OutcomesLessons learned form the shooting and actions that can be taken now to keep your students safer.
- Response to the incident that day and overview of what occurred.
- Could this have been prevented why or why not and mindset of the shooter.
- Press issues during this type event and the Reintegration of students and parents.
- Community efforts coming together after the event.
- What are the next steps legislatively that we are working on now that you can be doing at this time in your own jurisdictions.
- They will know what the incident was, and how we responded.
- We will discuss is complete prevention possible?
- They will understand needs of the press in a National news event and they will have understanding of the Reintegration process.
- They will see what our community is doing to heal from this tragedy.
- They will have and overview of types of preventative legislation that the New Mexico Chief's Association is working on.