Powell is considered to be a nationally-recognized thought leader and SME in K-12 school safety, security and emergency management. In addition to her 25+ years as a school practitioner, her recent work includes conference speaker, writer, risk management course developer and best practices contributor. Powell currently serves
on several local, state and national committees including the ASIS School Safety Council, the NCS4 Advisory Committee for After School and Athletic Safety & Security, and the NAIS Learning Group on School Safety. Powell, a 2019 Campus Safety Director of the Year Finalist, has a B.A. in Communications, a Masters Certification in
Community Preparedness & Disaster Management and a M.A. in Safety, Security & Emergency Management with a concentration in K-12 Schools.
Best Practices In Safety & Security During After School HoursProviding a safe campus during the school day is challenging enough but even more so after the bell rings, on weekends and at off-campus, school-sanctioned activities. Join Kenna Powell, CPP, CSSP, CSSM for scenario training using the NCS4 Best Practices Guide. She will help you to identify and rank hazards, select the appropriate risk strategies, develop plans and designate those responsible.
Learning Objectives and Participant OutcomesParticipants will identify after school risks and apply best practice solutions toward building a more comprehensive K-12 safety & security plan.
- Identify high-probability and high-impact risks during after school time to raise awareness.
- Apply mitigation strategies and best practice solutions to reduce after school time risks.
- Build after school event plans and an EOP annex to help your school become better prepared.
- Introduce the plan to school personnel and provide a training framework to clarify roles and responsibilities.
- Identify the need for hazard, risk and vulnerability assessments to include after school time.
- Apply the results of the risk assessment to address short-term and long term-solutions in improving after school time safety.
- Work as part of a team to build after school event plans and an EOP annex based on the results of the risk assessment.
- Introduce the plan to school personnel and provide training to clarify roles and responsibilities.