My failed attempt to retire, and the City of Gladstone’s (Oregon) need for a Chief collided which finds me currently serving as their Interim Chief of Police. I have held the role of City Manager, City of Sandy as well as the Chief of Police for the City of Sandy. In those capacities I have taught and worked extensively with public and private organizations on Active Shooter, Emergency Management, Emergency Preparedness and Criminal Justice and many other topics. I have been in the law enforcement industry since 1993, serving as a patrol officer, sergeant, detective and chief. I hold a Bachelors Decree in Criminal Justice, a Master’s Degree in Management and numerous certifications in Incident Command Systems and National Incident Management Systems through the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). I hold basic, intermediate, advanced and executive Law Enforcement certifications from the Oregon Department of Public Safety Standards and Training from Oregon as well as a Basic Law Enforcement certification from the Criminal Justice Training Center in Washington. I am a proud Air Force retiree.
10:30 AM - 11:15 AM Wed, Apr 25, 2018 TBC
Creating a Culture of Safety in SchoolsThe Oregon Trail School District has collaborated with Fire, Law Enforcement, Cirty, County and State Managers to create a culture of safety throughout the school system-developing and implementing an emergency operations approach that has changed the way school staff, students and parents think about, prepare for and respond to a crisis.
Learning Objectives and Participant OutcomesConference participants will learn an approach to engaging stakeholders in the on-going process of emergency planning and preparedness.
- Assess school and campus vulnerabilities
- Engage all stakeholders: staff, parents, students, school board, community partners.
- secure your schools and campuses
- Empower your staff and students to respond to and survive a security threat.
- Create space and opportunity for students and staff to address social and emotional needs
- Identify community partners to bring to the table.
- Work with community oartners to assess and address vulnerabilities.
- Compare approaches to addressing security threats.
- Identify staff training needs.
- Identify student social and emotional support needs.