Grant Banash earned his BA in Career and Technical Education from the University of Manitoba, Canada before starting his 22 year career working for the Aztec Municipal School District. He later earned his MA in Career and Technical Education from Bemidji State University in Bemidji, Minnesota. He has spent most of his career teaching various Career and Technical classes at Aztec High School. He has been a High School Administrator, a Transportation Director and, most recently, the Director of Operations for the school district. He was a volunteer firefighter and medical first responder for the surrounding community for 16 years, during this time he gained valuable knowledge and experience while working in stressful situations involving the safety and wellbeing of others. Throughout his career as an educator and administrator he has focused on creating and implementing numerous safety oriented trainings procedures that are used district wide. He, his wife and their two daughters all work for or attend schools within the Aztec Municipal School District.
TBC Wed, Nov 20, 2019 TBC
Preparing for, Reacting to and Recovering from a School Tragedy: Aztec School ShootingThis presentation outlines the active shooting that took place at Aztec High School on December 7th, 2017. This session will focus on key safety processes and crucial relationships while also introducing new ideas and procedures that have been implemented or are currently being developed to assist in district, school and county level school safety initiatives.
- Participants will recognize the importance of building collaborative relationships with local emergency response agencies related to school safety.
- Participants will understand the critical life-saving processes that the Aztec School district had in place prior to the tragedy.
- Participants will gain an understanding on how the event unfolded on December 7th. 2017.
- Participants will gain knowledge to assess their current school building construction.
- Participants will become aware of current equipment trends enabling priority based purchases for school safety.
- Participants will be able to identify key community stakeholders to develop relationships with, to create a collaborative safe school team.
- Participants will be able to identify drills, communication systems and safety protocols necessary to ensure their school's safety.
- Participants will be able to identify specific areas of need with respect to safety within their current school buildings.