Dara was born and raised in the Denver area and returned home after attending college in Michigan. After over 17 years in the banking and finance industry, Dara accepted a position in the Security office at Littleton Public Schools to be closer to her children and follow her desire to work in a school setting. Dara is currently the Security Training Facilitator and Office Manager for Littleton Public Schools. She lives in Littleton with her two young sons who attend school in the district.
10:30 AM - 11:15 AM Thu, Nov 29, 2018 TBC
All Hazards Training Suggestions for K-6 StudentsOne of the most perplexing issues school safety professionals face is how to educate young children on emergency preparedness. Active Shooter, Weather Emergencies, Stranger Danger, Personal Safety and other issues are often difficult to talk about with children.
Learning Objectives and Participant OutcomesThe audience will learn strategies on how they educate K-6 students in a productive non frightening manner on emergency preparedness.
- Attendees will learn how seconds count in emergencies and that empowering students to act independently in important.
- Attendees will learn teaching strategies for emergency preparedness for students.
- Attendees will learn strategies that can be taught to students on how to respond to an active shooter.
- Attendees will learn how to educate children on emergency preparedness away from school.
- Attendees will learn about programs that can help schools with emergency preparedness.
- Attendee will be able to apply best practice learning experiences to his/her program.
- Attendee will have gained knowledge from educators who have responded to active shooter incidents and other major incidents.
- Attendee will have knowledge of nation wide programs that can help districts with emergency preparedness.
- Attendee will have knowledge on how to make training fun and knowledgeable for students.