Dr. Lopez is currently the executive director of crisis and safety for Waukegan Public Schools. Prior to his current assignment, he worked as a school administrator for over five years. Robert has also enjoyed twenty-year career in law enforcement with assignments in patrol gang unit, investigations, SRO, D.A.R.E., and supervisory assignments including director of public safety.
Robert has published magazine articles in the area of school safety and has presented at both national and regional school safety conferences on the collaborative efforts of school and law enforcement personnel working together to create and implement school emergency management plans.
STUDENT DISCIPLINE: HOW TO DEAL WITH THE HULKThis 60 minute presentation will provide current information and possible solutions to the student discipline issues that are present in schools throughout the nation. This discussion is primarily based on the disparity in suspensions involving Pre-k- 12 African-American students. This program is geared to inform and discuss some of the issues but also provide some solution.
Learning Objectives and Participant OutcomesThe participant will receive up-to-date statistical information regarding student discipline along with ideas and some solutions towards improvement.
- The participant will gain an understand of current educational statistics regarding student discipline.
- The participant will receive information on possible reasons for student discipline disparity
- Each participant will be offered solutions and ideas for this current hot-topic
- Each attendee will have an opportunity to share thoughts and ideas related to subject matter.
- Each attendee will be gain a new perspective to student discipline.
- Each participant will be provided with thoughts and ideas on how to deal with student discipline.
- Each participant will have the opportunity to discuss and share their unique insights.